I got into a car accident one year ago. It was my fault because I turned when I shouldn’t have. Apparently, the man I hit has suffered injuries and is now looking to sue me and my parents. My parents and I are barely able to keep up with our regular bills now, and I’m scared that because of my stupid mistakes, it’s going to lead us into more poverty. This is my first year in college, and ever since this news, I haven’t been able to concentrate in school. I am very worried. I don’t know how to relax or where to start or how to defend myself if this goes to trial because I can barely remember anything from that night.
- This is a huge burden for one person to carry on top of starting off in a new school with a new life.
- It may seem impossible to relax, but try to keep calm since nothing has happened just yet. When your worries bubble up, just try to breathe, meditate, or exercise. You are safe right now, so don’t let these threats ruin your livelihood and education.
- Try to focus on school. Usually, the best prospects for one’s future lies with education.
- You do not have to do this alone, and you definitely do not have to defend yourself. If, and only if, this goes to trial, you can get a lawyer or a public defender to help you with your case. He/she will be able to walk you through everything and will put together a case with your help.
- No matter what the worst case scenario will be, there will always be a solution. Be brave. Make sure you surround yourself with people who are willing to support you.
- What can you do to stop worrying about the situation?
- If the case goes to trial, who can you turn to for help?
- What are your local law resources?