Marriage coming up for work friend
I’m friends with a work friend for about a year. She is having her wedding soon, however she asked if I could come and I said no. See, I am gay and her soon to be husband doesn’t believe in any gay rights and also thinks it’s a choice. He’s religious(who has also gotten a divorce) and told her I can’t go support you if your husband doesn’t agree with how I live my life. Am I wrong for feeling this way?
- It is difficult to decide what is best for special situations that include yourself and other people’s opinions of important matters like sexual orientation.
- Maybe you can help her understand your decision on not attending the wedding by explaining your side of things. For example explain to her what if someone did not agree with how she feels about something she knows is a part of her.
- If you don’t want to attend the wedding because of her partner maybe you can honor your friends event by just taking her out to lunch and honoring her choice even if her partner doesn’t accept you.
- Maybe you can turn this around by yourself being accepting of all people and not discriminate anyone either by going to the wedding to honor your friends life event.
- How can you explain to your friend so she can understand your decision not to go to her wedding?
- What are some other things you can do to honor your friends life event?
- What would happen if you decided to accept all people for whom they are and go the wedding in honor of your friend?