Struggling with Negative Feelings
Hi, I am 16 and I’ve been struggling with depression and anxiety for a couple of years. At this very moment I really want to commit suicide, actually planning it perhaps on my birthday this year. I don’t know but any help would be welcome :).
- Strong emotional issues can make you feel deeply unhappy and alone in the world. Your openness about your true feelings is a positive step in the right direction.
- First of all, suicide is a serious issue. Please refer to the section on suicide under the Learn tab. Also, if you need additional help please consider the hotline number for the National Suicide hotline under the Help tab.
- Be positive. In order to do this try focusing on activities you enjoy. Listen to music, do artistic activities or join a group of positive people like a sports team or club. Spend time in nature. Also, pets are the perfect best friends because they love you unconditionally.
- Try becoming more spiritual by learning yoga, meditation or prayer. Spirituality may help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself and others. It may also help you rid yourself of negative thoughts and feelings and thus make your world a brighter place to be.
- Speak to a trusted adult who genuinely cares about you. This may be a family member, friend or even a good psychologist.
- Be yourself. This will make people who don’t belong in your life go away and allow genuine people into your life.
- If you don’t already have this, find real friends who care about you as your true self. Only allow positive people into your life.
- Set real goals for yourself and allow yourself to dream of a positive life. For example, you may want to have a certain career in the future or start a family when you are old enough. Be imaginative in a positive way.
- Learn to genuinely love yourself. This will give you self confidence and peace of mind. No matter what you believe about yourself, you deserve a happy life that you actually enjoy.
- There’s always another way out of bad situations. Find a new perspective on your life. Try to find the good in the bad. Low points in someone’s life often bring about positive change if they allow this. All bad things pass.
- Try volunteering. Helping others has healthy benefits. It seems like you lack meaning and purpose in your life. Volunteering may be just the thing to give you this. It may also help you be part of a group of positive people. Even volunteering as an individual may be good. Some organizations you may want to consider are Habitat for Humanity, The Humane Society and American Red Cross.
- Think about how sad others would feel if you were truly gone from this world. Even if you feel like you have no one, everyone feels this way at times, there is no doubt that someone in this world will care about you. But no one will care unless you learn to love yourself so let your bad feelings make you stronger. Maybe this strength will allow you to help others with similar issues and you can save their lives.
- Write down your thoughts and feelings in a journal.
- Read inspirational quotes or uplifting books.
- Use your sense of humor to get you through life. Watch comedies or funny books.
- How different would your life be if you resolved to think positively each and every day?
- Would it really help anything if you were gone from this world?
- Isn’t your life more important than allowing negative emotions to take over your world?