Mom found cuts, I have no idea what to do
I am 16 years old and a female. I told my mom I was depressed since the 8th grade, I’ve been cutting since the 7th grade. But last night I came home from babysitting I was wearing a skirt and I accidentally pulled up a little too high, and she saw and she asked what the cut was. I tried to play dumb and act like it was nothing but I gave up and told her. She looked angry and upset so I asked her why she was mad and she said I’m not mad I’m worried. I have no idea what she’s going to do. When I walked away she started to bawl her eyes out. I felt so bad. I have no idea what’s she’s going to do. I don’t know. I think I might ask for help. Maybe It will help and make her feel better.
- Thank you for sharing your feelings. It is not an easy thing to do. Cutting yourself may be something that does need to be talked about. You are a unique and beautiful person and when there are big feelings inside like depression it is hard to process them but there alternative ways besides self harm that can help in a more positive way.
- Maybe it would be a good idea to get some help from a trusted counselor. Talking with someone outside of friends and family can help process those big feelings of depression on the inside and can help get to a happier place.
- Maybe right now you can do something you really like to do, such as yoga to help relieve stress. Writing or drawing can sometimes help process the feelings and getting outside and enjoying the weather helps. Also spending time with people you care about can help you feel better.
- Maybe you can look online for support groups that can help you manage the depression and the need to harm yourself. Teencentral.com and online resources can help in getting the support you need because you are not alone in this.
- You may want to look at self-injury information on TeenCentral located at http://www.teencentral.com/self-injury
- What would happen if you did speak with a counselor about your feelings of depression and self harm?
- What are some positive things that you can do right now to help you feel better and relieve some stress?
- What would happen if you did some research on Teencentral.com and online for support groups for depression and self harm?