||Well, my parents got divorced and ever since then my mom has two jobs and I can tell she is stressed out. I feel she is taking her anger out on me and I don’t know what to do. She is always worried about money. I have tried getting a job but no one wants to hire someone my age. I really don’t know what to do. Lately, I have been getting bad headaches and back and stomach pains. I don’t know if it’s because I’m stressed out or something but I really need some help.
- Thank you for sharing your story with TeenCentral. It can be hard when a family goes though a divorce. Your mom is not intentionally taking her anger out on you. When you feel she is doing this, remain calm and talk to her in a relaxing tone. Try to get her to calm down so you can talk to her.
- Try to focus on getting a good education and staying in school. Try helping your mother out more around the house with chores and cooking since she has two jobs now.
- Perhaps if you have your license you can run errands for her after school and on weekends depending on your schedules.
- You are right that your headaches and stomach pains may be caused by stress. Try some relaxing activities such as listening to music, working on crafts or art and going for a walk to release stress.
- How do you feel about sitting down with your mom and telling her about your concerns? What is preventing you from doing that?
- What can you do to help your mom out more?
- What are your responses when she takes her anger out on you? Be mindful that your responses can fuel her anger and stress after a long day at work. What would happen if you changed your approach when talking to her?